Guest Post: My Clear Skin Routine with ItsEmmaElise

So I'm pretty sure anyone that has hit puberty has dealt with skin problems. Personally, I went to the dermatologist for mine starting in high school. I tried all different combinations, but every single one dried out my skin to the point that it was painful. I wouldn't say I have perfect skin now, but my current skin care routine seems to work just as well as all those prescriptions that I tried on both my face and back! (Really, the only thing that worked was an antibiotic that my dermatologist prescribed to me for a week before prom. And I swear it was magic. But, anyone with any basic science knowledge knows that you can't take antibiotics all the time...or they just stop working. #lifeproblems)

Another note: It is harder than you think to keep up with doctor's appointments, especially once you head to college. Finding time when you get really sick is doable, but time for specialty doctors (like the dermatologist)? Uhm, no way will that ever happen!

So long-story short: I was sure that I would be a clear-skinned adult by now, but such is not the case. Hopefully my experimentation will save you a bunch of unsuccessful middle steps, and let you skip right to something that works! Now, let me get on to my personal skin care routine...

I have fallen in love with a brand, Skyn. You can find it at victoriassecret.com, which is helpful if you shop there (like me). I swear, it is the best face wash that I have ever used. Plus, it's not drying at all! I use the Skyn Glacial Face Wash during my evening shower. I just use my hands, because there hasn't been a cheap, Clarisonic-like, exfoliating device until just recently (made by Olay, but I'm yet to pick one up).

Then, before bed, I use the Skyn Anti-Blemish Gel as a spot treatment. When I wake up, the first thing I do is clean my face with the Skyn Glacial Cleansing Cloths! These two products are also available in the Skyn Anti-Blemish Kit, which is how I usually buy them.

In my purse, I always make sure to carry two facial products! First is my Neutrogena SkinClearing Blemish Concealer (in Fair #05). Whenever I'm not wearing makeup, I apply this concealer to any problem areas before heading out. It makes me feel like I look decent enough for the public eye, AND it helps clear up your skin! I just rub some onto the general area, using the sponge tip applicator. I blend in with my clean fingertips (use hand sanitizer beforehand, if necessary). And there you have it! Fast and easy coverage, which always helps to clear me up a bit by the end of the day, as well! The second product that I carry with me are the Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets. This is a great, cheap brand of oil-blotting sheets for whenever you start feeling greasy! Here in Florida, that is a must-have item!

Body blemishes seem to be a bit more stubborn, from my experience. I use a basic back scrub brush to wash my back with Neutogena BodyClear Body Scrub. After my shower, I spray my back with Glytone Back Acne Spray. Please note that sprays like this can sometimes discolor sheets or clothing. I haven't experienced any problems with this spray in particular, but I also use it before bedtime when I'm wearing cheap t-shirts and such to bed. Another thing to remember - hold your breath when you spray! Breathing in salicylic acid tastes TERRIBLE! I do this right before I leave the bathroom each night, so I'm not coughing up a lung.

Last but not least, some medicines may be to blame. Never be afraid to ask your doctor or pharmacists about this! Also, some birth control pills (the ones with stronger hormones) can actually HELP to decrease breakouts. I used to have hormonal breakouts each month. So, I asked my gyno about it, was put on a different pill, and I'm already looking clearer!

Remember that there are all sorts of skin types. What works for one person may do nothing for another person. If such is the case when you try my skin-care routine, I send you many apologies! Don't give up, though. With doctors, magazines, and the internet at our disposal, there are thousands of tips and tricks and products to try! You'll find something that works soon enough; I promise!

Hope you enjoyed my guest post, and please come visit me over at itsemmaelise!

♥, Em
http://itsemmaelise.tumblr.com

 
Emma is a blogger from Tampa, FL, living in Gainesville. She blogs at ItsEmmaElise, a blog filled with tips and tricks for young women. She is one of my friends in the HerCampus Blogger Network, and we will be heading to New York with a few other girls next month! Thank you for the wonderful post, Em, and I cant wait to meet you!

6 comments:

  1. Aw thanks! You're the sweetest! #HCBNLove

    ♥, Em
    http://itsemmaelise.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to more guest posts from you, Em!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sockwun! Just let me know if you ever want me to write something :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, glad you found something that works for you. I find that as I got into my 20's I started getting hormonal breakouts whereas during puberty and through high school I hardly ever saw a pimple. I don't have acne prone skin but every once in a while during that time of the month my skin just decides to do it's own thing. I have to find a routine that really works for me because my Clarisonic just made matters worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way! Im experiencing more breakouts now that Im in my 20s. I think that the Clarisonic is supposed to make you break out bad when you start because it gets all the bacteria in your skin out so that you can treat it and get rid of it.

      Delete
    2. Best of luck in your search, Erica! I hope you find something that works - maybe one of the items I listed will work for you, too!

      Also, I believe Sockwun is right. A lot of products cause you to break out first, because they bring the bacteria to the skin surface. Usually, it's advised to stick with a new product or skin-care routine for at least 2 weeks to a month before deciding it's no good!

      Delete